Smashing it at the gym... or is it the gym smashing me??
We're just a few days to the new year, and I'm about 8 weeks in to my serious Crossfit training programme.
How did I celebrate...? I took another day off from going to the gym... I did plan to go, but with the cold, clear weather it was a beautiful day to go out on the bike.
It's been nearly a week away from the gym, but with 2 runs and 2 cycles, I've kept myself ticking over, and one thing I don't beat myself up about is taking a time out when I know I need it.
So how has the training been so far??
Loving the Crossfit ethos - and the gym has a great, supportive atmosphere about it..
It's hard... I seem to end every session in a sweaty mess, realising there are at least three things I need to work on..
A little confusing... I find it difficult to remember the names for the different lifts and variations.
I'm really bad at counting.. this shouldn't be a surprise as I used to struggle to remember my lengths when I was swimming...
Luckily my eyes still just about work, so I can still read the order of exercises on the board, but the brain fog does descend and I regularly forget how many rounds Ive done..
Varied - lots of different movements that will take time to master...
Weightlifting is technical, tiring, and also far more enjoyable than I thought. I've even bought myself a box diary so I can record all my lifts and weights.
I've found that I do have to pace myself through the week, and the way my body reacts is different to how it has been with the longer distance aerobic training..
I ache more from the weights, and find the sessions tiring, but at the same time I can see the progress I'm making..
Progress so far...
- Pull ups - I can now link multiples together as kipping pull ups
- Weightlifting - definite gains in all forms of lifting and I'm able to complete parts of workouts RX
- I don't hate burpees quite as much as I did... but they are still horrible
- I'm ok at rowing, air bike, running - not particularly speedy, but my endurance is still pretty good
Things I really must work on... (as well as everything else, but these are the main ones...)
- Double-unders.. it takes me Aaaaaages to do any of these... I can't string them together yet..
- Handstand Push Ups... Yes, you did read that correctly... doing a handstand and then pushing up from that position
- Chest to Bar pull ups... how to even attempt this without hitting my head on the bar
- Muscle Ups.. ha ha ha ha... when you see a gymnast do this you think it must be really easy..
- Push Ups.. basic, but I'm not very good at them..
About 2 months to go.. lots of work to do. The new year will see a step up in intensity, but a great journey so far!!