Couch to 5k - A virtual training programme
Couch to 5k is a general term we have used to describe the various applications you can get for your mobile phone.
Couch to 5k is a virtual training programme set up on a mobile phone App.
You download the app onto your mobile phone, and it has a complete programme of activities that will take from novice to running 5 kilometers (without stopping).
The programmes are usually in an 8-9 week cycle, and will be 3 or 4 sessions per week of about 30 minutes, so ideal for someone beginning or returning to exercise.
How does it work and why is it so popular?
- The workouts are all written for you as a complete set that progress slowly but surely over the timed weekly period
- Each workout has it's own audio track, so once you start the workout, it talks to you and tells you every step of the way what you should be doing and for how long...
For example: walk for 2 minutes, then run for 30 seconds, then walk for 2 minutes
- You can listen to your music as you go, giving you further personal help and inspiration
- You can join communities and share information across the Apps or social media
- You can get running tips and good practice information
- The programme is usually 8 weeks and will take you from a complete beginner
I've personal experience of a completely novice runner taking this on and it really worked for them.
Designed for beginners and those returning to exercise, it is formally approved by the NHS as an exercise programme (and they have even built their own app).
For more information - Go to the app store on your phone and search "Couch to 5k"
They are available for both Apple and Android - read the details and reviews carefully to make sure you choose the one that offers the best support for YOU.
Event Categories: Running
Event Level: Beginner
Event Participants: Individual